The Strong and Silent Type

Rodney Strong
Knight's Valley
Cabernet Sauvignon
2014
$39.95 LCBO 
     When I popped the cork I knew just by the smell that I was going to like this wine; the bouquet is impossible to miss and is every bit as rich as the opaque maroon liquid sitting in my glass. I'll start off by saying that I'm not really surprised, since Rodney Strong is one of my favourite Californian producers (along with Mondavi and Paul Hobbs) primarily because of how unwaveringly reliable they are. Note: the 2015 Rodney Strong Russian River Valley Pinot Noir is the only exception to this to date; truly disappointing - unbalanced, thin, acidic, and oaky. Nowhere near holding a candle to the 2014 vintage of the same wine. I digress.
     The first sip of this wine makes me feel like I'm sitting on the deck of a Muskoka cottage on a cool fall evening, with a fireplace burning somewhere down by the water. The initial brightness is balanced by the concentration of flavour, and the residual feeling of just having eaten a handful of raisins is off-set by the gentle tannins that linger on your tongue. It is certainly dry, with only 2g of residual sugar per litre, but my personal preference is a drier wine so this is right up my alley. This wine is balanced, rich (but not overwhelming), and complex enough that you aren't bored of it as you down the last sip of your second glass without realizing. This particular wine has the added benefit of giving you what can only be explained as that "post-ski day" warmth in your face, but without the sore legs.
     One of the things I love the most about a great bottle of wine is its ability to mimic feelings or flavours from other things, or bring back lost memories. If you've only been drinking Carlo Rossi, then you'll understand what I mean one you splurge for a slightly pricier bottle. I once had a glass of red that bothered me immensely with the feeling that I was missing something, until I realized that it tasted just like eating dried apricots as a child with my father.
     All in all, this bottle was a fantastic example of Rodney Strong's ability to consistently make interesting, well-balanced cabs, without being jammy or bland in the slightest. Add this to your "buy when you want to impress your S/O's parents" list.
     Yours in all things wine,
                              Christine

Comments

Popular Posts