Clarety

Francis Coppola
Diamond Collection Black Label
Claret
2015
$29.95 LCBO

   Pouring this wine, I was overwhelmed with the same smell you get when pouring a glass of Welch's grape juice; the magic of wine striking once again, as the nose once in glass was everything but sweet. The range of aromas presented by this wine is immense, causing me to pick up and put down my glass multiple times before even tasting it the first time. Alongside the pine, cherries and cocoa were the more out-of-place butter and rubber. While the latter aromas are somewhat obscure in red blends, the overall impression was reminiscent of holiday dinner... at Hogwarts. I've never tried butterbeer, but I'm confident it shares smells with this Claret.
     For those who don't know, Claret is another name for a Bordeaux blend which are predominantly cab-merlot, with sprinklings of Petit Verdot, Cab Franc, and occasionally Malbec. The 2015 Francis Coppola Claret has 76% Cabernet Sauvignon, 16% Petit Verdot, 4% Merlot, and 4% Cabernet Franc. The higher percentage of Petit Verdot lends both brightness and structure to this wine, which in my opinion, helps it stand out among some of its blander peers. As of late, my feelings towards Bordeaux blends has declined, as I've tried bottle after bottle of thin, personality-less wine. I have found recently that I am not getting enough out of their potential flavours as I expect, but this Francis Coppola has broken that trend and I am very pleased about it, even if it isn't French.
     This particular bottle makes for a perfect late afternoon glass, as it has fairly light body for a red, and relatively low alcohol at 13.5%. Additionally, the lighter body means it has the potential to pair with food without overwhelming the flavours in the meal. Don't like white wine? Try this with your chicken Cordon Bleu instead; the smokiness of the ham and the creaminess of the melted cheese will pair beautifully with the red fruit and tannin in this wine. I'm not always a Coppola fan, but this one is clearly deserving of praise.
      Yours in all things wine,
                              Christine

Comments

Popular Posts